Friday, April 10, 2009

10 words

Set timer: 15 minutes
Exercise: Write the numbers 1 through 10 down the left side of a loose piece of paper. Find a book close by, any book or magazine, whatever is handy. A novel, a cookbook, whatever. Flip to page 87 (pick a random page if there isn't writing on that page). Skim the page from the bottom up, don't read it, just glance over the page. Pick out 10 random words and list them on your piece of paper. Chose one of the words as the title of this piece.

Start the timer and write something, anything that includes all ten words. Try to complete it as quick as possible without going over 15 minutes.

Hayley's attempt:

Windows
I will let you in on a secret. My life isn't that exciting. I've been granted a life of opportunity, but I'm wasting it all. I'm stuck in the middle of two two paths. The passage east is clear, trouble free, predictable. The way west is unknown, troublesome with lots of obstacles. There is a wild river flowing that way, that I'm sure will toss me side to side, bruise me and knock me down. Along path east, there is a dilapidated barn and wandering cows grazing at sunset.

Many years down the road, I want my letter home to dance with joy and excitement. My intention is to live outside the windows I'm looking through now, to go west.

No comments:

Post a Comment